Link to the Marine Corps League 2018 National Convention Buffalo, NY
Some Items From the VA
Winter Sports Clinic participants find relief with battlefield acupuncture
The quiet sounds of a Native American flute, accompanied by flowing water and chirping birds, sings through the dimly lit space. There is a massage table set to one side and a handful of earth brown chairs and tables along the perimeter of the room. A small open space in the center welcomes patients who are lining up at the door, many in wheelchairs and walking with assistive devices. They are here seeking relief from their pain.
VA to host nationwide ‘baby shower’ in celebration of Mother’s Day
To honor and support Veterans welcoming new children into their families in 2018, 60 VA medical centers around the country will host baby showers between May 5-16, the weeks surrounding Mother’s Day, in partnership with the Elizabeth Dole Foundation.
Helping Veterans respond to an opioid overdose
Throughout April, VA Women’s Health Services (WHS) is bringing awareness to opioid risks, promoting best practices for the safe use of opioids, and providing education for overdose-reversal Naloxone Kits, informing women Veterans how to respond to an opioid overdose in the event of an emergency.
New on VAntage Point:
• [Podcast] #94: Benefits Breakdown – Smoke Quitline
• Women Veterans team up to bring awareness to diagnosis and treatment of traumatic brain injury
• U.S. Army Veteran says Bay Pines VA helped regain her life
• From saving lives on he battlefield to filing disability claims for others, one loyal Marine’s story
• Traumatic Brain Injury: How a rolling pool bridge is helping a Veteran move forward in life
• A trip to the military recruiter with a buddy led to a lifetime of public service
• 41 VA medical centers to participate in landmark study to test relationship between diabetes and heart health
• Five helpful tips to get you started in a nursing career with VA
• VA partners with philanthropic organization to increase Veterans’ access to mental health resources
• Continue serving America by transitioning to a VA career
Connect with VA:
• Facebook - Veterans of the Day, Top VA news & videos
• Twitter - Veteran news from around the country
• Subscribe - Never miss a VA update
• Instagram - Top Veteran pictures from around the country
• Subscribe - Borne the Battle podcast
VETERAN OF THE WEEK
This week we honor Navy and Army Veteran Douglas Huggins.
Douglas served from1969 to 2009 and fought in both the Vietnam and Iraq Wars. He attained the rank of chief warrant officer.
Nominate a special Veteran as #VeteranOfTheDay
It’s easy to nominate a Veteran. All it takes is an email to us with as much information as you can put together. Click on the picture to the left for an overview of how to put together a great #VeteranOfTheDay package.
VA Quick Benefits
If your service-connected condition has gotten worse and you’re planning to file an increased disability claim for that condition, there’s a better way to file. Get the fastest decision on your claim for an increase by filing it as a Decision Ready Claim (DRC). Filing as a DRC means you can get a decision within 30 days after your claim is submitted.
Work with an accredited Veterans Service Organization (VSO) or other accredited representative to determine if the DRC program is right for you and your claim for an increase. Your VSO can then help you gather and submit all relevant and required evidence so your claim is ready for VA to make a decision when you submit it.
Don’t need to file a claim for an increase? You can also file these other types of compensation claims through the DRC program:
• Direct Service Connection Claims
• Presumptive Service Connection Claims
• Secondary Service Connection Claims
• Dependency and Indemnity Compensation for surviving spouses
Learn more about the DRC program, including eligibility requirements, what medical evidence you need to submit, and how to find an accredited VSO at www.benefits.va.gov/drc.
Thank you for your service!
Veterans Benefits Administration
Connect With Us
find us on Facebook using this link: https://www.facebook.com/DepartmentOfNewYork/
find us on Twitter using this link: https://twitter.com/DepartmentofNY